Re: Trouble with grub on usb thumb drive :(

On Mar 11, 2:50 pm, "Caesium 5" <caesi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just install Debian onto a 8GB usb thumbdrive. However, during the
> installatin, there's an error during installing of grub. Completed the
> installation without grub installed.
>
> I googled high and low and many articles points to the command below
>
> Command :    grub-install [OPTION] install_device
> Example :    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/hda1
>
> Unfortunately, when I plug this usb thumb drive into my computer (Debian
> Lenny, KDE), it was detected as
> /media/Rain    and    system:/media/sdf1
>
> I've tried but is unable to fit the usb location into the above command.
>
> I am absolutely lost :(
>
> Anyone have experience with the above method?
> or
> Knows of any other method inwhich I can load grub into the usb thumbdrive?

I did an external USB drive install recently, and found that grub2
wouldn't work.  I was able to get regular grub to work, though.  I
went back and had the installer install grub (not grub2).  When I
tried to boot, it didn't work correctly, so I had to go back and
modify menu.lst to set the correct root, kernel, and initrd values.

This was a very handy resource for figuring out what needed to go
where:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm

The key was to figure out which drive naming terminology to use on
which line.  Mine looks like this:

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.22-3-686
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet
initrd		/initrd.img
savedefault

YMMV, HAND, etc.
-pedxing