Re: Trouble with grub on usb thumb drive :(

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Caesium 5 <caesium5@gmail.com> wrote:

Just install Debian onto a 8GB usb thumbdrive. However, during the installatin, there's an error during installing of grub. Completed the installation without grub installed.

I googled high and low and many articles points to the command below

Command :    grub-install [OPTION] install_device
Example :    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/hda1

Unfortunately, when I plug this usb thumb drive into my computer (Debian Lenny, KDE), it was detected as
/media/Rain    and    system:/media/sdf1

I've tried but is unable to fit the usb location into the above command.

I am absolutely lost :(

Anyone have experience with the above method?
or
Knows of any other method inwhich I can load grub into the usb thumbdrive?

Hey,
  If your device location is variable you'll probably want to use UUID= instead of /dev/sdf1 type notation in your menu.1st.
  Try something like:

  Boot into your hdd os.
  Note the current location of the usb drive (eg /dev/sdf1)
  Find the unique identifier for your usb stick (UUID) - use `vol_id` or similar
  Mount your usb stick /mnt
  chroot to /mnt
  mount /proc
  Edit your /boot/grub/menu.1st file to use UUIDs instead of sda1 type notation.
  Update grub:
  run `grub-install /dev/sdf` (this installs grub to the chosen disk, but doesn't actually reference itself AFIK.)

Try
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Booting_from_USB
or
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
  -- ^^ It's not identical, but very similar to the case where windows has hijacked the bootloader, the fix is the same though.

cheers,
Owen.