Re: Trouble with grub on usb thumb drive :(

First of all, you should really consider Owen's suggestion to use UUID to
boot USB stick.

Ref:

Booting with grub on usb-flash-pen
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/live/grml/grml04-Boot/ar01s02.html

Now back to your specific question...

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:27:47 +0000, Caesium 5 wrote:

> Just install Debian onto a 8GB usb thumbdrive. However, during the
> installatin, there's an error during installing of grub. Completed the
> installation without grub installed.
>
> I googled high and low and many articles points to the command below
>
> Command :    grub-install [OPTION] install_device
> Example :    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/hda1
>
> Unfortunately, when I plug this usb thumb drive into my computer (Debian
> Lenny, KDE), it was detected as
> /media/Rain    and    system:/media/sdf1
>
> I've tried but is unable to fit the usb location into the above command.

Get down to command line (by launching kconsole/xterm etc) and all will be
clear:

do

 mount

you may see

 /dev/sdf1 on /media/sdf1 type ....

that tells your the USB device and its mount point.

Then apply to grub-install:

 grub-install --root-directory=/media/sdf1 /dev/sdf1

Ref:

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/disk/boot/boot06-Grub/
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/disk/boot/boot06-Grub/ar01s09.html

--