Re: Suggestions for improving ffmpeg performance?

On 3/10/08, Kevin Monceaux <Kevin@rawfeddogs.net> wrote:

> After more trial and error I discovered that if one removes the
> --disable-mmx ./configure parm and also removes the -fPIC and -DPIC flags,
> the package will build successfully. Googling for ffmpeg fpic mmx turns

If you remove --disable-mmx does any mmx stuff build? I played with
this some yesterday, but couldn't
get the mmx stuff to compile. Lots of errors "impossible constraint in
'asm' stuff like that. I had --enable-mmx in there, but didn't do
anything with the -fPIC and -DPIC stuff because I figure I'd break
something.

Having an mmx-enabled ffmpeg in the repositories would be very helpful
for machines as pokey as mine - the vlc or gxine stuff (and ffmpeg)
don't have mmx / 3dnow enabled, and I could tell the difference in
performance - dramaitic last night when watching a Star Trek video
(wmv9). In vlc it was choppy and dropping frames left and right - but
in mplayer it plays smoothly. I'm on an Athlon 1000 tbird.