Re: Security update of etch did not update my Kernel. Still vulnerable. Why???

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 06:01:50PM -0400, "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> was heard to say:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 01:52:50PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Every time I see that kind of message, I just pick the "real" base
> > package that I want.
>
> So does this mean that those metapackages don't work for users of
> apt-get?

  The metapackage is named linux-image-2.6-$ARCH, not linux-image-2.6.

  linux-image-2.6 is a pure virtual package provided by several different
packages; aptitude and apt-get will both complain that you need to pick
a package that provides linux-image-2.6, except that aptitude will
generate a lot of noise about packages it's not upgrading and make it
hard to find the error message.

  Daniel