Re: Security update of etch did not update my Kernel. Still vulnerable. Why???

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 01:08:00PM -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> I am running a minimal install debian machine as a firewall and I
> would like to keep it  secure and up to date.
>
> I included
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch  main non-free deb
> http://security.debian.org etch/update main contrib
>
> as the entries in /etc/apt/sources.list and I run apt-get update and
> apt-get upgrade Now  I notice that there was a Recent advisory about
> the linux kernel
[snip advisory: one of several]
> but why is my machine not running this new kernel?????
>
> I ran the update, and upgrade with apt????
>
> I still see that my kernel version is
>
> linux-image-2.6.18-3-486 and not linux-image-2.6.18-6-48.
>
> what did I do wrong? how to make sure all updates are done??????

Do you have the linus-image-2.6 meta-package installed?  If you only
have an actual linux-image deb installed, it will never be upgraded.
The meta-package will always depend on the most recent version and will
be updated at the time that the new version is added to the repository.

The "standard" way of handling this is to use aptitude to install the
linux-image-2.6 meta-package which will bring in everything upon which
it depends.  Once you are running the new kernel without errors, you can
start to remove older kernels manually from within aptitude.

Doug.