Debian Install from DVD

Assembled Wisdom!

I want to upgrade from sarge to etch, and have purchased a 3 DVD
Debian etch set.  However my DVD player/reader is external, attached
to a usb port, and I can't boot from that.

Is there a way of installing by taking a few files from the first
DVD, putting them onto a CD, or on my machine, and then do a minimal
install and get the rest of the stuff from the DVDs on my external
DVD reader?

Or can someone suggest a different path to this goal?

TIA for anticipated help,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    "He lies.  He spies.  He wants us to ignore