Re: Debian Install from DVD

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 02:34:35PM -0500, Alan McConnell wrote:
> I want to upgrade from sarge to etch, and have purchased a 3 DVD
> Debian etch set.  However my DVD player/reader is external, attached
> to a usb port, and I can't boot from that.
>
> Is there a way of installing by taking a few files from the first
> DVD, putting them onto a CD, or on my machine, and then do a minimal
> install and get the rest of the stuff from the DVDs on my external
> DVD reader?
>
> Or can someone suggest a different path to this goal?

Some ideas:

1.	Have you read the installation manual?  It provides all the
	different boot and install options for your arch (i386?).

2.	What will your box boot?

		-floppy? then boot floppy
		-CD? then download the netinst.iso file, burn that, and
			use the DVD as a local repository.
		-USB?  then download the hd-media.img, copy to a USB
			stick then either use the DVD as a local
			repository or if its a big enough USB, copy the
			DVD image to the USB stick.
		-Hard drive?  Then copy the hd-media files to a fresh
		  	partition on the drive.

3.	If this is just an upgrade from Sarge to Etch, just use
	apt-cdrom to add the DVD as a repository, then do an apt-update.
	There are a few issues with this path: read the release notes
	first and have a backup in case something goes wrong.

Doug.