Debian Etch on Dell Optiplex 320

Hey there,

This is a mailing list question and a how to as well.

I purged my life of Windows completely the other day by only using Debian Etch on my workstation at work :)

Unfortunately this workstation is as linux unfriendly as it gets. It is a Dell Optiplex 320. I couldn't get any distro to boot except for Fedora 8 Live CD. I finally found some instructions on how to set this up with Debian. I hope this helps someone:

 1. To boot installer: boot install pci=nomsi
 2. When it installs GRUB, escape and choose LILO instead.
 3. Add 'non-free' to sources.list and install 'fglrx' driver.
  * Tried radeon and others but no luck.

Those are the only issues that came up. Otherwise Etch seesm to run beautifully.

Now, this system is 64-bit if I'm not mistaken (EMT64). I installed the 32-bit version of Etch. Just curious to know what should be the case here.

Thanks,
Amit