Re: LANG=C not English?

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 06:54:50PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 02/03/2008, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> >  > Thanks, but how to set them?
> >

> > Short answer is not to set any of LC_* as system wide.
>
> I don't recall ever setting them. I don't even know how.

OK, I may have misinterpretted you.

> >  Since I like console to use English (UTF-8 so en_US.UTF-8) and X to use
> >  use several locales such as en_US.UTF-8 and ja_JP.UTF-8, I let gdm
> >  change locale.  If you want to run any program under fancy locale, you
> >  can do it by:
> >
> >  $ LANG=somelocale somecommand
> >
> >  See more on
> >   http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch02.en.html#langvariable
> >   http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#thelocale
>
> Very informative links, Osamu, but they explain how to set only the
> 'standard' locale of a user, not C. How is that set? Thanks!

Because C only suport 7 bit simple ASCII.  It is good choice for
embedded system for its simplicity.

C can not accomodate even umlauts and accents which you may even see in
English locale for name.  If you want to insert some quotation in
hebrew, C can not handle it.

Osamu