Re: Probably very stupid script/bash question

Mark Clarkson wrote:
On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:46:05 +0100
Brian <Brian_dorling@t-online.de> wrote:

I could not get this to work, the shell complains:

./dirvish-mail.sh: 98: Syntax error: redirection unexpected

Interesting to note that this does not work under busybox. I think
this is rather an esoteric but often useful bash feature. (It also
needs /proc so is not available in some special cases.)

The other solution from Alex:

 >> echo "$teststring" | ( read A B C D E F; )

Of course, both solutions work perfectly under bash.

This should not have worked under bash either since it is still running
in a sub-shell, so the variables are lost when read finishes.

of course you are correct. I had written the following test script:

teststring="one two three four five six"

{ read A B C D E F; } < <( echo "$teststring" ) echo "Data received = $E Bytes"

echo "$teststring" | ( read A B C D E F; )
echo "Data received = $E Bytes"

$E was still set from the first read call. Duuh.

So can you explain exactly what the first < <( echo "$teststring" )
does exactly please?

Cheers Brian