Re: LANG=C not English?

On 02/03/2008, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 02:57:45PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>  > On a Debian-based system (Ubuntu 7.04) running KDE 3.5.8, why would
>  > the "C" LANG parameter not be English? Lookie here:
>  >
>  > feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ echo $LANG
>  > he_IL.utf8
>  > feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ export LANG=C
>  > feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ echo $LANG
>  > C
>  > feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install kde-core
>  > [snip]
>  > You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>  > לחבילות הבאות יש תלויות שלא נענו:
>  >   amazonmp3: Depends: libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a אבל היא אינה הולכת להיות מותקנת
>  >              Depends: libboost-thread1.34.1 אבל היא אינה ניתנת להתקנה
>  >              Depends: libboost-iostreams1.34.1 אבל היא אינה ניתנת להתקנה
>  >              Depends: libboost-signals1.34.1 אבל היא אינה ניתנת להתקנה
>  >              Depends: libboost-date-time1.34.1 אבל היא אינה ניתנת להתקנה
>  >              Depends: xdg-utils אבל היא אינה הולכת להיות מותקנת
>  > E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
>  > specify a solution).
>  > feisty@feisty-laptop:~$
>  >
>  > See that Hebrew text? Other applications, such as Thunderbird and
>  > Gimp, that are run after LANG=C also do not appear in English. Why is
>  > that, and how to correct it? Thanks in advance.
>

> What is the output of:
>
>  LANG=C locale
>
>  Do you set LANGUAGES ?

$ LANG=C locale
LANG=C
LANGUAGE=he_IL:he:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="he_IL.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="he_IL.utf8"
LC_TIME="he_IL.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="he_IL.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="he_IL.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="he_IL.utf8"
LC_PAPER="he_IL.utf8"
LC_NAME="he_IL.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="he_IL.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="he_IL.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="he_IL.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="he_IL.utf8"
LC_ALL=he_IL.utf8

I see. How does one set the locate parameters for LANG=C? And when I
do set them, to what English is C expected to be? Could you post for
me the output of your C locale so that I might set mine to the same
values? Thanks, Tzafrir.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il