Re: what is where in the iso-images

dd@kimbrien.de wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've spent hours on choosing, downloading and installing debian onto a
> network-separeted box today. (I used the german debian homepage since
> that is my native language.)
> The Debian-Website is embarassing! Where are the hints that if you
> want a debian with kde, you should download this file: [filename]?
> Where are the catalogues of the iso-images, so that i can find out: If
> I want to install KDE _LATER_ (of course i choosed the wrong file and
> have a working model of gnome now, and the local aptitude has no kde
> found) I need to download THIS CD-Image?
>
> On which CD Image (stable) is KDE?

There is a special cd for kde. That would have kde on it. It can be
found on the official cd download page:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r3/i386/iso-cd/

where it is called  debian-40r3-i386-kde-CD-1.iso and found rather at
the bottom of the page.

> Is there any CD Image containing wine?

Yes. wine is on one of the cd's. You could also download wine and its
dependencies as .deb files and install those manually.

http://packages.debian.org/etch/wine

http://packages.debian.org

offers a search for packages.

> Why is there no possibility to search? It is useless to search google
> for kde or wine, or can you tell me a syntax that will give me the
> answer on which of the debian stable images are the pakets that i look
> for?

Because until now there hasn't been a volunteer to implement it. Debian
is fully a volunteer's organisation and nothing gets done, unless
someone steps in to do it. Anyway, why do you want to download the whole
cd with wine on it, if all you need are a few packages?

> I begin understanding what Windows Users say, Linux is really not easy
> to install if there are such difficulities in the very beginning.

Well, if you didn't know anything about windows and wanted to install it
from scratch, it would be an even more horrible experience. Believe me.

>                                                                    Why
> is the debian Homepage with so little useful information? Blobs over
> blobs of text fills your eyes, but where's the information??

The debian website is full of information. You just have to find it :-)

Before you get to the cd download page, normally you would have passed
some pages telling you that you should buy some images of a vendor or
download a minimal cd for a network installation. These are the
recommended ways of installation, because Debian is tailored to work
best with those. On downloading full cd sets you waste a lot of
bandwidth, because you will never need most of the software you
download. One of the advantages of debian is its vast repository of
software, probably the largest on the internet. If you are overwhelmed
by this (as you seem to be), maybe one of the distributions that fit on
a single cd/dvd is a better choice for you.

> Can someone give me a hint?

Buy a cd set. There are some excellent books on debian, which have
cd/dvd sets included. They are cheaper than most ordinary operating
systems and give a wealth of information and advice.

> Filename of CD image containing KDE?

see above.

> Filename of CD image containing Wine?

HTH,