Re: [OT] Zip file browsing tool

On 2008-03-03 01:43 +0100, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> I'd find a nice directory where you can write that has 70 GB or so free,
> copy the 18 GB file there (yes, copy so that nothing can wreck it while
> you work on it), then use unzip on it.  I imagine that it will take a
> while.

It may not take that long, because it will not work. :-(  If you look at
unzip's ToDo file (/usr/share/doc/unzip/ToDo), you will note that it
does not support such large zip files.  The original zip format only
supports files up two 4 GB, until PKWARE extended it.  See the Wikipedia
article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_%28file_format%29.

It might be possible to unzip the file with the 7z utility, contained in
the p7zip-full package.

Sven