Re: [OT] Zip file browsing tool

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 01:50:52PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I was given a 18GB (yes GB) compressed zip file by a family member,
> containing all kinds of photos and videos.
>
> The problem now is they cannot unzip it (using Mac OS X Leopard). The
> unzip tool always exits with an error.
too bad.

> Now, I haven't received the zip file yet...still downloading it
> through scp. So now my question is, can I use the split utility to
> break these files into smaller pieces and unzip it?

AFAIK, splitting it won't work since unzip will need the file headers.

> And also, is there a tool to browse zip files...like how midnight
> commander is able to browse tar.gz files without decompressing them.
> From there on, I can just copy the most important files out without
> having to decompress the entire thing.

MC does decompress the file to $TMP/mc-[user]/

> Any ideas or suggestions?

I'd find a nice directory where you can write that has 70 GB or so free,
copy the 18 GB file there (yes, copy so that nothing can wreck it while
you work on it), then use unzip on it.  I imagine that it will take a
while.

You may want to check the wikipedia entry for zip files to see if there
are any gotch's.

Good luck and have patience.  I would run this from the CLI and not from
X (don't want a dying X to cause problems).  I'd probably run nice top
from another VT so I could watch the box's performance.  It would also
be "nice" to run the unzip niced too.

Whatever you do, don't do it as root.

Doug.