Re: Additional RAM brings Lenny to a slow-down

Jochen Schulz wrote:
andy:

I added mem=2048M to the end of the line so that it now reads:

	# kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet mem=2048M

And ran /usr/sbin/update-grub and rebooted.

It still took just under 10 minutes to get back to login at the gdm
screen, so I am at a complete loss now.

Try a few megs less, like mem=2040M.

J.

Been there and done that: I reduced the /boot/grub/menu.lst entry to 2040 and updated and rebooted. Resulted in a drag as always when 2 DDR2 chips are inserted. Edited menu.lst to 2000M, updated, rebooted and same delay. BIOS correctly recognised 2040M during the initial boot pre-GRUB stage on both occasions. I've just pulled the second RAM chip for now.

Despite spending the better part of the afternoon running searches on google and reading info grub-doc I have come across nothing that is remotely useful. My board is set up to take 2GB x DDR2 pc533 RAM. Assuming that nothing is wrong with the hardware (and really, how does one check that?), it looks like this may be a kernel issue for the 2.6.22-3-686. Unfortunately, I cannot find out whether any bugs have been filed.