Re: Additional RAM brings Lenny to a slow-down

andy wrote:
Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:14:37PM +0000, andy wrote:
Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 07:18:41AM +0000, andy wrote:

[...]

with a fix from the manufacturers. The other alternative seems to be the mem=xxx option passed to the kernel. If I use the latter approach, is this something that I can develop a script to do automatically at boot (for example, to run it as part of the GRUB parameters), or is it something that I would have to do manually?
$ grep kopt /boot/grub/menu.lst
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=791
# xenkopt=console=tty0

Regards,
Andrei
Thanks for this Andrei. How would I tweak this to enable my kernel to recognise and utilise the additional RAM? Looking through the file, the relevant section appears to be this commented part:

No, the line you need to edit is the one with 'kopt=...'. Don't uncomment it, just add the relevant parameter to the end (like I added vga=791 for my laptop).

After you're done you *must* run /usr/sbin/update-grub

Regards,
Andrei
Andrei

My question is about the specifics of the option to add at the end of the line: Because I am looking for 2GB RAM to be recognised, do I add mem=2097152M to the end of the kopt=... line? I don't, for example, know what outcome you were looking for and resolved by adding vga=791 to that line in your config. VGA I can but assume had something to do with a graphics card, but beyond that ... ?

Thanks and apologies for being apparently dense. I can assure you I'm not being deliberately obtuse.

I added mem=2048M to the end of the line so that it now reads:

	# kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet mem=2048M

And ran /usr/sbin/update-grub and rebooted.

It still took just under 10 minutes to get back to login at the gdm screen, so I am at a complete loss now.

Any further suggestions, or did I misunderstand something?

Cheers

Andy