Re: Best Distro for the consumers market ??

stephane lepain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been reading couple of posts talking about different kind of
> distros, but what would you guys suggest as the best distro for the
> consumers market? There would be a need of stability and reliability. Of
> course, it would have to be easy to use for the end users.
> As a complete newbie to IT and Linux, I have tested Mandriva 2008,
> Ubuntu, and now Debian etch and testing. I found Debian testing the best
> of all: etch being not very compatible with new hardware and software.
> Testing on the other hand is the most up to date distro, fairely
> compatible with newest technologie (software and hardware from the
> consumers market) and quite easy to maintain.

Whenever I advise someone to use Debian, I always ask them to install Stable
first. Then if they come back complaining about old versions of software or
incompatibility of hardware etc., then I give them a nice overview of
stable/testing/unstable versions of Debian and ask them to choose one of
that. If you would like to do that yourself, you can take a look at this
old write up of mine
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/debian_choosing_distribution.html

In your case, I would go with either Debian Stable or Ubuntu. Why Debian
Stable? Because Debian stable is very reliable, stable and never crashes.
Security support is awesome. Upgrading to next release is pretty painless.
Why Ubuntu? Simple things like installing proprietary drivers, wireless
configurations, suspend/resume functionality etc., work by default. You can
make them work the same way in Debian as well. But by default, the
user/admin is needed to roll up his sleeves and be prepared to get his
hands a bit soiled.

hth
raju
--