Re: Best Distro for the consumers market ??

On 28 Feb at 14:52 Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote in
message <[🔎] fq6hrn$e54$1@ger.gmane.org>

>[snip]
> In your case, I would go with either Debian Stable or Ubuntu. Why Debian
> Stable? Because Debian stable is very reliable, stable and never crashes.

Oh, yes it does :(

As a recent convert from Mandriva, I was disappointed to find that it
crashed every Sunday morning; nothing in any log file.

Turns out to be bug #327355, unresolved for 2.5 years, in ide-tape, which
was being called from Amanda after doing the weekly backup. Moving to
ide-scsi (which is deprecated and not available in the stock kernel)
overcomes the problem. I've raised a new bug report (467291), but no
response yet.

Whilst I like Debian, I'm surprised that the maintainers can let this
situation prevail. But I guess it's a kernel bug, not specific to Debian.
--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England