Re: Problem with KVM switch and Screen Res...

Frank Charles Gallacher wrote:
Greetings,
I am running Debian GNU/Linux ("etch" kernel 2.6.18-6-686) on a PC with
an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT connected to a COMPAQ S710 Monitor.
I have just upgraded to the latest NVIDIA driver, using
"nvidia-installer".
It works fine, the only problem I having is when I introduce my trusty
KVM (Keyboard-Video-Mouse) switch, the thing that lets me swap between 2
PCs...

When I boot up with it connected, the Hardware Probe that checks the
capability of the Screen defaults back to 640x480, rather than 1280x1024
when the Monitor is plugged in directly; consequently I get a little
claustraphobic when trying to use it in this fashion...

Running Red Hat Linux 9, I could cheat by installing the OS with the
screen connected directly, then introduce the KVM into the loop after
the install and boot it up OK; Debian appears to be smarter and checks
it at boot time instead...

Is there a way to force the issue, and get X to start in 1280x1024 mode
with the KVM switch connected???

I had the same problem when my computer boots up with the monitor switched off. This problem occurs because the nvidia driver queries the monitor for the modes it can support and disables those modes if the monitor is switched off (or can't be queried because of the KVM switch)

You can get around this by saving the edid data from the monitor to a file and load the file at X startup instead of querying the monitor every time. Run nvidia-settings, select your monitor and "Acquire EDID". Save the edid to some file. Then under the "Device" section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, add the line:

Option          "CustomEDID"    "CRT-0:/root/edid.bin"

assuming your monitor is called CRT-0 and you have saved the edid file at /root/edid.bin

Thanking you, fcG.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi