Re: mounting error USB stick

Adam Hardy on 26/02/08 00:16, wrote:
Florian Kulzer on 25/02/08 17:39, wrote:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 00:05:44 +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:
Florian Kulzer on 24/02/08 23:05, wrote:
On Sun February 24 2008, Adam Hardy wrote:
Using xfce, Thunar used to pick up on the new usb storage device and put an icon in its tree pane for me with the usb stick's name. Clicking on that
would then mount it to /media
hal still creates /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 but I can't see it as a mounted
file system.

[...]

I think the next thing to try is what happens if your run (as your
normal user)

pmount-hal /dev/sda1

(Change /dev/sda1 to the correct device node of the filesystem.) If this
works without errors, run "mount" to see which mount point was chosen.
Also check if you can unmount the stick (again as your normal user) with

pumount /dev/sda1
That's good. My user can mount it with pmount-hal at /media/adam for one stick, and /media/usbstick for another, and pumount it again. So that is probably the command that Thunar issues.

It also gives me this message:

libhal-storage.c 1401 : INFO: called LIBHAL_FREE_DBUS_ERROR but dbusError was not set. process 23617: Applications must not close shared connections - see dbus_connection_close() docs. This is a bug in the application.

Perhaps this is an indication that there's something wrong still which prevents the system from executing pmount-hal automatically.

It seems that you are not the only one having this problem, and it is
not limited to thunar:

Do you have a completely up-to-date system? (kernel, udev, hal, libhal1,
libhal-storage1, dbus, libdbus-*)

Completely up-to-date etch versions.

That bug is a year old. I couldn't work out how to see its status from that web page. Anyway, you're right, it does appear to be the same issue I'm having.

Added comments to the bug report (hopefully - haven't used reportbug before)