Re: missing serial script in /etc?

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:47:59PM +0100, eric s wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> >>well, the /dev/ttyS* didn't exists so I created /dev/ttyS* using ./MAKEDEV
> >>and here is what I got:

Making the device nodes in Etch, which uses udev, doesn't really
accomplish much.  If the device nodes are not there, then the driver
isn't loaded.

> >># setserial -ag /dev/ttyS*
this will just give you the setserial defaults since it can't find the
hardware.  Setserial is rather dumb.  It sends commands and fills in its
own blanks.  How many actual hardware serial ports does your box have?

> >>/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
> >>        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
> >>        closing_wait: 3000
> >>        Flags: spd_normal skip_test
> >>
> >>/dev/ttyS1, Line 1, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
> >>        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
> >>        closing_wait: 3000
> >>        Flags: spd_normal skip_test
> >>
> >>/dev/ttyS2, Line 2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
> >>        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
> >>        closing_wait: 3000
> >>        Flags: spd_normal skip_test
> >>
> >>/dev/ttyS3, Line 3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
> >>        Baud_base: 9600, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
> >>        closing_wait:
[snip bluetooth blue herring]
> sorry about taking the question to far ahead, but the question was
> really /dev/ttyS* related, since I suspect the ports are not set up
> correctly. Is the Port:#  looking correct?
> This is because I can't open a serial /dev/ttyS* from any apps, all I
> receive is a termios.h error, so from that I think its something the matter

Giving us that error may have been helpful.

To what physical port are you trying to connect?  Does dmesg show it?
If not, then there is no module looking for it.  Worry about getting it
to show up in dmesg before you worry about the lack of device node.

Once we know what kind of serial port you have, then we'll know what
module to try fitzing with.

Good luck.

Doug.