Re: missing serial script in /etc?

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 07:14:04PM +0100, eric s wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 02:31:52PM +0100, eric s wrote:
> >>the serial port do not get created at start up?
 >
> >To what script are you referring?  There is no startup script to create
> >serial devices.  They are there already in /dev
> >
> >crw-rw---- 1 root dialout   4,   64 Feb 24 11:06 ttyS0
> >crw-rw---- 1 root dialout   4,   65 Feb 24 10:35 ttyS1
> >crw-rw---- 1 root dialout   4,   66 Feb 24 10:35 ttyS2
> >crw-rw---- 1 root dialout   4,   67 Feb 24 10:35 ttyS3
> >
> well, the /dev/ttyS* didn't exists so I created /dev/ttyS* using ./MAKEDEV
> and here is what I got:
>
> # setserial -ag /dev/ttyS*
> /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>         closing_wait: 3000
>         Flags: spd_normal skip_test
>
> /dev/ttyS1, Line 1, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>         closing_wait: 3000
>         Flags: spd_normal skip_test
>
> /dev/ttyS2, Line 2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>         closing_wait: 3000
>         Flags: spd_normal skip_test
>
> /dev/ttyS3, Line 3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
>         Baud_base: 9600, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>         closing_wait:
>
> then I connected a bluetooth device and got the data in as serial line
> 9600, and can see the data fine in
> cat /dev/rfcomm1

Well, /dev/rfcomm1 isn't a standard serial port.

> I created a symlink
> ln -s /dev/rfcomm1 /dev/ttyS3
> but all I got at cat /dev/ttyS3
> is
> cat: /dev/ttyS3: Input/output error

You complained about lack of standard serial port.  Perhaps your box has
them or not, but they you're connecting to something other than a
standard serial port.  These are device nodes, they tell (by their major
number) the kernel what device module is responsible for the I/O and by
their minor number which device.  Setserial allows you to then tell the
kernel what settings to use for each device.

You should have told us up front that you are having trouble with
bluetooth.  I've always worn a face mask and keep my mouth shut when its
below -40C so I have never had a frozen tooth. :)

Seriously, I hope someone who has at least seen a bluetooth device can
offer some help.  Perhaps change the thread name.

Doug.