Re: Bug ?! (System bootup in progress - please wait)

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:44:34PM -0800, Hadi Nejati wrote:
> Newly I understand Our Sarge servers doesn't allow user connect via
> ssh except root.  After inspecting the problem I found something
> strange. In /etc/nologin (I didn't create this file) there is
> something like that "System bootup in progress - please wait".I think
> there is the bug in my servers (I use these kernels: 2.4.27-2-386 and
> 2.6.8-2-686 ).If you know what is the problem exactly let me know.

During boot, the initscripts create the nologin file.  The contents are
printed to the screen if someone attempts to login between the time that
the getty's are started and the script which removes nologin runs to
remove it.

Once the system is running, you should be able to log in as root
(despite the nologin file) and then remove the file.  This should allow
logins.  Reboot asap (I understand that it is a server) and see what
happens.

Ensure that you have backups just in case.

Doug.