Re: Unable to boot on encrypted root after upgrading testing

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 05:07:40PM +0100, kjo@a4nancy.net.eu.org wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Feb 19th, I upgraded my debian testing as I do about twice a week. My
> computer was then turned off (but I thing the upgrade was finished) and
> I'm not able to boot anymore : I get these error messages :
>
> Setting up cryptographic volume hda2_crypt (based on /dev/hda2)
> Enter LUKS passphrase:
> key slot 2 unlocked
> Command successful.
>   3 logical volume(s) in volume group "[vg]" now active

well, that's good, you're unlocking and it looks like lvm is starting
up right.

> cryptsetup: unknown fstype, bad password or options?
> Command failed: Device busy
> Command failed: Device already exists
> cryptsetup: cryptsetup failed, bad password or options?
> Command failed: Device already exists
> cryptsetup: cryptsetup failed, bad password or options?
> cryptsetup: pmaximum number of tries exceeded

not sure what these things mean.

> Done.
> Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
>
> after that it waits a long time and I enter the BusyBox of initramfs.
>
> Let's me describe my setup : I have one hard disk, on which there are 2
> partitions :
>
> hda1 --ext3--> /boot/
> hda2 --crypto--> hda2_crypt --lvm--> [vg]
>
> on [vg] I have :
>
> [vg]-swap --> swap
> [vg]-root --xfs--> /
> [vg]-home --xfs--> /home/
>
> Then some more info on my problem :
>
> (initramfs) ls /dev/mapper
> control
> hda2_crypt
> [vg]-home
> [vg]-root
> [vg]-swap
>
> "mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /tmp/" works, but mounting [vg]-root doesn't
>
> (initramfs) mount -t xfs /dev/mapper/[vg]-root /tmp/
> mount: Mounting /dev/mapper/[vg]-root on /tmp/ failed: Invalid
> argument

did it ever really work with '[' and ']' in the filename? if so, I'm
shocked.

> It seems to me that I have the good modules loaded (dm_crypt, aes, xfs...).
>
> My kernel is 2.6.22-3-686
>
> I can't access my system anymore, then I'va no idea how to solve the
> problem... any idea ?

Do you still have old kernel's and initrd's lying around that might
work? That's where I"d start, get booted into an older system...