Re: Creating aliases/shorcuts for programs in linux

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 07:37:57AM -0800, BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> On Feb 23, 12:40 am, Amit Uttamchandani <atu13...@csun.edu> wrote:
>
> > I guess I use the "ln" command right? And also how do I change icons for these apps? I will probably set up a lightweight WM for them, something like fluxbox or DWM. So how is changing icons in Linux done?
> >

> If you are going the fluxbox route, why not just configure keys, like,
> e.g., Ctrl-Alt-f starts Firefox, etc?
>
> If you want icons on a lightweight window manager, I think idesk is
> what people use. I personally just configure key commands.
>
> http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Howto_idesk

Or, use icewm.  Also light weight but with a 1 or 2 row taskbar (icon
buttons set with a simple text file).

Back in my OS/2 days, I had a button on the desktop that was labled
"Mom's Menu".  It ran a REXX file that presented a simple menu for
common applications:

	1.	WordPerfect

	2.	Paradox

	3.	Write new church bulletin

	4.	Edit this week's church bulletin

	5.	Church register

	Enter your choice: _

I had a similar menu for my Dad.

Neither one of them could figure out to click on an icon, even if I put
the same functionality in icons "Mom's Folder" or "Dad's Folder" on the
workspace (whatever OS/2 called the root window).

Doug.