Creating aliases/shorcuts for programs in linux

Hey guys,

Recently moved from Mac OS X to Debian Etch and I was curios as to how to create aliases/shortcuts to programs.

I wanted to set up Debian etch for my parents and in their home folder there is going to be a folder called apps. In there will be all the aliases/shortcuts for programs such as firefox, pidgin, openoffice, etc.

I guess I use the "ln" command right? And also how do I change icons for these apps? I will probably set up a lightweight WM for them, something like fluxbox or DWM. So how is changing icons in Linux done?

Thanks,
Amit