Re: sshfs and permissions of /dev/fuse

> The 2.6.18 images have fuse.ko included. However, we should make sure
> that your experiment with module-assistant has not left behind an
> additional - possibly broken - fuse module. Run
>
> find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -name fuse.ko
>
> and verify that it only lists one file:
> /lib/modules/<YOUR_KERNEL_VERSION>/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko

Yes, it only lists one file just like what you said.

> Try "modprobe -v fuse" (unload the module first if it is already
> loaded). This should create /dev/fuse or give you an error message. For
> comparison, here is what happens on my system (I remove the module first
> to illustrate how the device node is created):
>
> # ls -l /dev/fuse
> crw-rw---- 1 root fuse 10, 229 2008-02-23 20:16 /dev/fuse
> # modprobe -r fuse
> # ls -l /dev/fuse
> ls: cannot access /dev/fuse: No such file or directory
> # modprobe -v fuse
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.24-flo/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko
> # ls -l /dev/fuse
> crw-rw---- 1 root fuse 10, 229 2008-02-23 20:17 /dev/fuse

Ok that worked. I was able to load the fuse module and running ls -l lists /dev/fuse with the permissions.

> Another thing to check is fusectl:
>
> $ mount | grep fuse
> fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

yes this is missing.

> If that is missing for you, try to run
>
> invoke-rc.d fuse start
>
> or
>
> invoke-rc.d fuse restart

when i run the above command i get the following error:

invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/fuse not found.

I guess the init.d script did not get correctly set up and that is why at startup the fuse module doesn't get loaded.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

Amit