Re: hibernate and swap partition size (newbie question)

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Jimmy Wu <jimmywu013+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Rich Healey <healey.rich@gmail.com> wrote:
>  [...]
>
> >  Jimmy Wu wrote:
>  >  >>From what I've read online, I get the general idea that in order to be
>  >  > able to hibernate/suspend to disk properly, the swap partition has to
>  >  > be big enough to hold all of the RAM inside it, right?
>  [...]
>
> >  Yes, you'll need to have the same sized swap as RAM, although from
>  >  memory there is a way to force it to do it with less...
>
>  All right, I'll look into that.  What I can't figure out is why the
>  actual hibernate part (setting restore point) seems to have worked.

Just found this article about using swap files instead of swap partitions

Not really what you were saying, but I suppose it might work.  But
first I have to figure out if it really is inadequate swap that's
giving me grief.

--
Jimmy Wu
Registered Linux User #454138