Re: hibernate and swap partition size (newbie question)

Is High memory support turned on in the kernel?  This could explain why hibernation is working whilst you have 2gig's in the system.

Processor type and features
    -----> High Memory Support

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Jimmy Wu <jimmywu013+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Jimmy Wu <jimmywu013+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Rich Healey <healey.rich@gmail.com> wrote:
>  [...]
>
> >  Jimmy Wu wrote:
>  >  >>From what I've read online, I get the general idea that in order to be
>  >  > able to hibernate/suspend to disk properly, the swap partition has to
>  >  > be big enough to hold all of the RAM inside it, right?
>  [...]
>
> >  Yes, you'll need to have the same sized swap as RAM, although from
>  >  memory there is a way to force it to do it with less...
>
>  All right, I'll look into that.  What I can't figure out is why the
>  actual hibernate part (setting restore point) seems to have worked.

Just found this article about using swap files instead of swap partitions

Not really what you were saying, but I suppose it might work.  But
first I have to figure out if it really is inadequate swap that's
giving me grief.

--
Jimmy Wu
Registered Linux User #454138