Re: Etch installation media doesn't boot (neither NETINST CD, nor floppies), but other distros do... :-(

On 16 Feb 2008, at 06:31, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:24:36PM -0900, Siraaj Khandkar wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've been a very happy Debian user for sometime now, but yesterday ran into my second major install issue (the first being the X configuration back in
1999).

I wanted to install a minimum Debian system on an old Dell PowerEdge 350 server, but the NETINST CD is just ignored by the system (yes, the boot order is correct :-) ), so I tried floppies, but those too are ignored (I
can hear it click as the system tries to read it on boot, but it then
proceeds to boot off the HD). The exact same Debian CD that failed to boot on PE350, worked just fine on PE1850's, as well as a bunch of other, older Compaq ProLiant servers (ML350's and 370's), as well as my HP laptop. I tried booting off Ubuntu 6.06 CD and it worked just fine, I tried booting
RHEL 4 CDs, and it too worked just fine on that PE350.

so you get no bootloader at all? that's amazing.

I was puzzled as well - that's the first time I see something like this...

Doug gave you tons of good advice.

He sure did, and I surely will try it!

Another thing you might try is drag
the harddrive out that box and use another box to install to that
harddrive and then stick the drive back into the original box and see
what happens.

My fear of doing it that way is that I won't get the proper net drivers installed.

YOu'll have to use some care to make sure you 1) get a
full system

But thats the thing, I don't want the full system, I just want the bare minimum.

and 2) it's the right architecture and 3) you've got a
bootloader installed.

Also, I would suggest swapping cd drives too. maybe there is a minor
problem with the cd drive that only hits ont his disk (I know, that
ignores the fact that the floppies dont' work either).

yup, floppies, AND other distros disks ;-)

--
Siraaj Khandkar

Ron Paul - Hope for America
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/