Etch installation media doesn't boot (neither NETINST CD, nor floppies), but other distros do... :-(

Hello everyone,

I've been a very happy Debian user for sometime now, but yesterday ran into my second major install issue (the first being the X configuration back in 1999).

I wanted to install a minimum Debian system on an old Dell PowerEdge 350 server, but the NETINST CD is just ignored by the system (yes, the boot order is correct :-) ), so I tried floppies, but those too are ignored (I can hear it click as the system tries to read it on boot, but it then proceeds to boot off the HD). The exact same Debian CD that failed to boot on PE350, worked just fine on PE1850's, as well as a bunch of other, older Compaq ProLiant servers (ML350's and 370's), as well as my HP laptop. I tried booting off Ubuntu 6.06 CD and it worked just fine, I tried booting RHEL 4 CDs, and it too worked just fine on that PE350.

I really have no idea what, but there must be something different about Debian installation media. Can you guys enlighten me on what is going on here? Any ideas on how to get Debian on that damn thing.

If it is something about support for older systems being dropped in Etch, perhaps I can use an older release for installation, and then apt-get dist-upgrade? What do you guys think?

--
Siraaj Khandkar

Ron Paul - Hope for America
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/