Re: Password problems

Frank McCormick wrote:
Check your passwd and shadow files and make sure they are in order.

  I had a look at them....but what as I looking for?

Probably two entries for the same UID. If user1 and user2 have the same UIDs, then it is possible the the password for one name was changed, but the other one still exists.

Check your sudoers file for anything weird.

  Like??

I meant something not very common, like prompting for the root password instead of the user password. But if you have root password disabled, then I guess this would not be the case.

But irrespective of all these, please clarify one thing. Are you able to install/remove packages using synaptic after authenticating with your old password? If so, then you might have uncovered some serious bug. One would expect that from the moment you change your password your older password becomes completely useless.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi