Black screen of death

Hi folks

This is etch 2.6.18 on a Dell Latitude C400 laptop.

Note: sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is not the solution to my
problem. That determines the list of possible resolutions, not the
currently selected resolution.

I was fighting a bug with the panel (Panel Properties/Expand [ ] shrinks
the panel but [x] does not re-expand it, but just pushes it hard right)
and selected another screen resolution as an experiment. The default was
1024x764. /etc/X11/xorg.conf contains only 1024x768, at various depths.
However the menu also offered 1024x600. When I chose that, the screen
went black.

I cannot see how to recover the default resolution. I couldn't find a
file on the system with a modification time of when this happened, so
the question is: Where is the current screen mode stored? And no, I
don't mean the list of possible screen modes. For that see above.

I've Googled, but only found references to the list of possible screen
modes.

And I've read /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but can't see how that helps.

Dual booting to WinXP got Windows to detect a problem, so I chose Use
Last Known Good Configuation, but back in Debian that had no effect.

TIA.
--
Ron Savage
ron@savage.net.au