Re: How to compare the package version?

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:55 PM, hhding <hhding.gnu@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi list
>
>  Assume I have installed gcc-4.1 with version 4.1.2-15, and some
>  application need gcc with version greater than 4.1.2-18. How can I check
>  and compare the installed gcc version in debian way then decide install
>  the new version or not? I have read the debian policy manual, but no
>  version compare tool or command is mentioned.

If you want to see the changes between the versions, you can open
aptitude, select the gcc-4.1 package and press 'C' (or was it a
lowercase 'c'?) to view the changelog of the package. This hopefully
clarifies what has changed.

There is probably a command-line tool to show the changelog. And you
can view it from packages.debian.org .