Re: Ethernet card does not work after Mother Board Change

At 09:25 PM 2/8/2008, you wrote:
Butch Kemper(kemper@tstar.net) is reported to have said:

> I built a system using 4.0r2 net-install and have kernel 2.6.18-5-k7 installed.
>
> The motherboard failed and the replacement board has a different type
> ethernet card.
>
> In the kern.log file, I can see the ethernet card is recognized and
> called eth0 but:
>
>         The card is not connected to eth0 in ifconfig - there is no
>         eth0.
>
>         There is not an interrupt level in /proc/interrupts for the
>         ethernet card.
>
>         If I try an ifup eth0, I get an error about a non-existant
>         device.
>
> I tried entering the driver name in /etc/modules but that does not help.
>
> I need some assistance on how to proceed to get the system to properly
> setup the ethernet card.

check the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

I suspect that there is now more then one eth0 entry.

ISTR that commenting out the old entry didn't work, so remove it and
reboot.

WT

Thank you.  The correction was as you suggested.  I deleted the file /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules and rebooted.  Everything started working.

Butch