Re: Ethernet card does not work after Mother Board Change

Butch Kemper(kemper@tstar.net) is reported to have said:

> I built a system using 4.0r2 net-install and have kernel 2.6.18-5-k7 installed.
>
> The motherboard failed and the replacement board has a different type
> ethernet card.
>
> In the kern.log file, I can see the ethernet card is recognized and
> called eth0 but:
>
>         The card is not connected to eth0 in ifconfig - there is no
>         eth0.
>
>         There is not an interrupt level in /proc/interrupts for the
>         ethernet card.
>
>         If I try an ifup eth0, I get an error about a non-existant
>         device.
>
> I tried entering the driver name in /etc/modules but that does not help.
>
> I need some assistance on how to proceed to get the system to properly
> setup the ethernet card.

check the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

I suspect that there is now more then one eth0 entry.

ISTR that commenting out the old entry didn't work, so remove it and
reboot.

WT

--
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one
works.