Problems with apache2 and charsets

Hello,

My apache seems to ignore the charset meta data in the html files, so
iso-8859-1 htmls are not properly displayed. If I store them in utf-8,
then there is no problem, even if iso-8859-1 is specified in the meta
headers.

If I specify the default charset in the apache conf file to be
iso-8859-1 then the iso pages are shown correctly but not utf-8 ones.

So, does anyone know what could be causing this behaviour? I'm using
apache2 in debian stable, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

--
"Crazy, but that's how it goes
Millions of people living as foes