Problems with apache2 and charsets

My apache seems to ignore the charset meta data in the html files, so
iso-8859-1 htmls are not properly displayed. If I store them in utf-8,
then there is no problem, even if iso-8859-1 is specified in the meta

If I specify the default charset in the apache conf file to be
iso-8859-1 then the iso pages are shown correctly but not utf-8 ones.

So, does anyone know what could be causing this behaviour? I'm using
apache2 in debian stable, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

"Crazy, but that's how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe it's not too late
To learn how to love, and forget how to hate"