Re: Etch desktop: switching between ppp and ethernet network connections

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 11:01:27PM +0200, Mikko Rapeli wrote:
> gnome-ppp is a bit complicated and it doesn't work with the system wide
> ppp settings, which work and which the user can not accidentally screw
> up.

I've also tried GNOME's network-admin, but that seems to fail with ppp
interfaces. All I get is a "Could not enable interface ppp0".
Somehow 'ifdown eth0 && ifup ppp0' and 'ifdown ppp0 && ifup eth0' work
on command line. Except 'ifup ppp0' doesn't provide feedback if
something goes from with the ppp setup like it often goes with these
GSM/GPRS thingies.

> ifplugd and automatic ppp setup work, allmost, but lack a gui in gnome.
> They work if eth0 is not set as auto while ppp is set as auto. Then ifplugd is
> configured to poll the eth0 device. At boot ppp is setup. If cable is
> later plugged, ifplugd activates eth0. When cable is unplugged only
> /etc/resolv.conf is hosed since the ppp0 stayed up all the time. I hope
> I can fix this with resolvconf, although I've had bad experiences with it

Indeed, resolvconf works as I thought with ppp and ethernet devices.

-Mikko