Re: missing /var/mail

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 02:44:33PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 02/02/08 10:22, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:45:42PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >  >
> >> That's exactly what I meant
> >
> > OK.  With stock Debian's exim4 and mutt, how do I switch from mbox to
> > maildir?
>
> I use postfix, and the only modification to it's main.cf is:
> home_mailbox = Maildir/

Also the filter will need to be changed slightly. Are you using
procmail or maildrop?

example from .mailfilter:

DEFAULT=$HOME/Mail/IN-personal/

if (/^X-Loop: debian-user@lists\.debian\.org$/)
{
	  to "$HOME/Mail/IN-debian-user/"
}

Notice the slash after IN-debian-user and IN-personal

I believe for procmail there is a recipe to convert mbox to maildir.
The existing recipes in .procmailrc will need the slash added and also
because mbox format requires locking and maildir doesn't, remove the
colon from the end of the first line of each recipe.
[..]
> >          I assume that once I do, the user's interaction with the mail
> > from within Mutt will look the same?
>
> I don't see why not...

In .muttrc:
set mbox_type = maildir