Re: missing /var/mail

On 2008-02-01 19:23 +0100, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> The question is, why did I lose the data?  Isn't the journal in ext3
> supposed to prevent this from happening?

No. The purpose of a journal is to ensure data integrity, not to make
sure the disk is always in sync with the file data cache.  If you want
that, you have to mount the filesystem with the `sync' option (which
will result in a big performance loss).

My hunch is that your mails never made it to the disk and are lost for
good.  FWIW, I'd recommend to leave mails on the server, if you are
using POP3, to ensure they aren't lost in case of a power failure.

Sven