missing /var/mail

Hello all,

I know that this is pretty useless, but.

I was just reading my mail when the power went out.  There were some
important mails there.  At the time, they were in /var/mail/dtutty

On reboot, it said that it was replaying the journal (ext3) for /var
with no errors reported.

After reboot, /var/mail/dtutty is empty (another user's mail is still
there, the only differece being that they weren't using mutt at the
time).

There is nothing in lost+found.

Possibly unrelated: on boot, the POST said that there was a keyboard
error.  I had to power down the PSU to get the box to boot.

Any idea what happend?  I figure that there's no way to get the data
back.

Doug.