Re: Problem with console and locales

Alejandro, how was that?
were you able to set up in the way you want?

I have a similar question... I'm wondering if is doable to set up your debian system in English and read special characters (like á-ú,ñ) in the tty console. I'm a TeX user and use to do a spelling check using aspell (#aspell -t -c file.tex --lang=es), but when I've to do texts in Spanish I'm not able to see the special characters because it's not supported by my system. For instance, instead of  "Córdoba" you see "C rdoba), and when you use a file parser like more, you see funny characters in "ó" place.

Does anyone have a clue how to set up my system to achieve this?

Best Regards.
Andrew

On Jan 22, 2008 5:59 PM, Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
2008/1/22, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
> [ Please stop top-posting. ]
>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:59:13 -0600, Alejandro Aguila Sáinz wrote:
> > Hi, now I sent dpkg-reconfigure again and I get this:
> >
> > debian:/home/alekz# dpkg-reconfigure locales
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> >         LANGUAGE = "Es_es",
> >         LC_ALL = "Es_es",
> >         LANG = "es_MX"
> >     are supported and installed on your system.
> > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
>
> [...]
>
> > Generating locales (this might take a while)...
> >   es_MX.UTF-8... done
> >   es_MX.ISO-8859-1... done
> > Generation complete.
>
> [...]
>
> > Any idea? Thanks
>
> Run
>
> export LC_ALL="es_MX.UTF-8" LANG="es_MX.UTF-8" LANGUAGE="es_MX.UTF-8"
>
> right before you try "dpkg-reconfigure locales" again. Then make
> es_MX.UTF-8 the system-wide default. Afterwards log out, log in again
> and verify the settings by running "locale".
>
> Then execute
>
> echo -e "S\0303\0241inz"
>
> and check if this prints your last name correctly. If you get two
> "weird" characters instead of the accented a, then your terminal does
> not understand UTF-8. If you get one placeholder character (a box or a
> question mark), then your font is missing the "á" symbol.

Try console-setup tool too!

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi