Re: kernel versus broadcom wlan

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 16:36:00 -0700, wauhugo AT yahoo DOT com wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

>> Try to load the module manually (as root) with verbose messages:
>>
>> modprobe -v b43
>>
>> Hopefully that will give us a clue.
>>

> There is NO OUTPUT from the "-v" option. But the module gets loaded.

I think no output with "-v" means that the module was already loaded
before the command was run. Maybe you could try to unload it ("modprobe
-rv b43") and then reload it. If that does not lead to any meaningful
messages in the syslog or the dmesg output then I really don't know how
to proceed. Looking at the source code, it seems that there should
be a message about loading the firmware for both success and failure.

Are you sure that your custom kernel is OK?

> # lsmod |grep 43 :
> b43                   119976  0
> ssb                    39428  1 b43
> rfkill                 12816  1 b43
> pcmcia                 45720  2 b43,ssb
> firmware_class         15232  2 43,pcmcia
> led_class              10120  1 b43
> input_polldev           9872  1 b43
> pcmcia_core            46500  2 b43,pcmcia
> mac80211              132236  1 b43
> this looks quite correct, but it doesn't do any visible thing.

So /sbin/ifconfig still only shows one network interface (and lo)? What
happens if you run "udevtrigger" with the module loaded, do you get any
new entries in the persistent-net-rules file?

> OH, an other thing: About every second boot hangs after the message:
> "Synchronizing the System Clock" (or something like this)

This should not happen, but I have no idea if it is related to your
problems with the broadcom chip.

> Could this probably be cause by some fault while trying to install and
> activate the firmware?

          Florian   |