Re: Problem with console and locales

[ Please stop top-posting. ]

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:59:13 -0600, Alejandro Aguila Sáinz wrote:
> Hi, now I sent dpkg-reconfigure again and I get this:
>
> debian:/home/alekz# dpkg-reconfigure locales
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = "Es_es",
>         LC_ALL = "Es_es",
>         LANG = "es_MX"
>     are supported and installed on your system.

[...]

> Generating locales (this might take a while)...
>   es_MX.UTF-8... done
>   es_MX.ISO-8859-1... done
> Generation complete.

[...]

> Any idea? Thanks

Run

export LC_ALL="es_MX.UTF-8" LANG="es_MX.UTF-8" LANGUAGE="es_MX.UTF-8"

right before you try "dpkg-reconfigure locales" again. Then make
es_MX.UTF-8 the system-wide default. Afterwards log out, log in again
and verify the settings by running "locale".

Then execute

echo -e "S\0303\0241inz"

and check if this prints your last name correctly. If you get two
"weird" characters instead of the accented a, then your terminal does
not understand UTF-8. If you get one placeholder character (a box or a
question mark), then your font is missing the "á" symbol.

          Florian   |