Re: Symple method to transfer some packages from Desktop system to laptop Debian Etch system?

On 01/27/08 15:48, Csányi Pál wrote:
> Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:45:54 -0500 keltezéssel Douglas A. Tutty azt írta:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:10:23AM -0500, Celejar wrote:

>>> He says the laptop has no network connection - see above.
>> Does the laptop happen to have a serial port?  You could connect a null
>> modem between the laptop and the desktop boxes and run ppp.  This not
>> only allows transfering files, but gives access to the internet via the
>> desktop (with suitable forwarding setup) so that install can proceed
>> normally.
>
> But I have not nullmodem cable.

People used to install Unix from dozens of floppy disks.

When you have limited hardware, much expenditure of time and effort
are a foregone conclusion.

> I think that that it is maybe possyble to use for this pourpose an
> USB cable?

Or get a USB-Ethernet adapter.

> Sooner or later I shall by an PCMCIA ethernet card for laptop.
>
> I use an USB drive and this apt HOWTO:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html
>
> so I can now to install packages from Desktop to laptop.

A laptop with USB but not networking?  Oh well...

> I have only an error message when install from this local repository
> from USB drive about that that this is an Untrusted source.
>
> How can I get rid of this message?

For now, ignore it.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown