Accessing a TV adapter via my network

I would like to get a Hauppauge WinTV Nova T 500 adapter which I
understand works with Linux.

That's the easy part.

It would be very inconvenient to install it in my desktop because it
would require a connection to a TV aerial socket and I don't have one
near my desktop.

My idea would be to assemble another computer using some spare parts
that I have together with some parts that I would have to re-aquire. I
say 're-aquire' because I would have had all the necessary parts if I
hadn't given away a lot of them (CPUs, hard drives, RAM) to a local
computer recycling charity a few months ago. Why is it that one does
not have a use for these parts until they've gone?

I'm assuming that if I assemble the said computer with the TV
adapter in it (putting it near a TV aerial socket) and can connect
wirelessly to my desktop then I could access the TV adapter from my
desktop using something like MythTV. Would such a thing be possible?

I would be looking at a minimal install of Linux on the new box with
all the processing done on my desktop.

This would assume that I could connect the two boxes using nothing more
than a wireless adapter in each i.e. no router. My desktop has an on-
board wireless adapter and I have two spare PCI adapters one of which I
could use in the new box. Is it possible to get two wireless adapters
to communicate in this way? Would that be fast enough to cope with the
data from the TV adapter?

What sort of specification for the new machine would be required? I
have a Gigabyte GA-7ZXE mainboard which takes a Socket A Athlon (which
I would have to aquire) and it takes PC-133 SDRam (which I would also
have to aquire). What's the minimum RAM I would need?

I would also need to aquire an IDE hard drive. What's the minimum size
I could get away with for an appropriate Debian system? TV recording
will be done on my main desktop via the network.

I wouldn't normally want to use a screen or keyboard after the machine
has been setup - would that cause problems when booting?

What else haven't I thought of?

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk