Re: nvidia driver problem [Was: new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61]

On Friday 25 January 2008, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> Actually, nv was what the installer picked by default and that didn't
> work for me (I was surprised by that, but maybe stable uses an older
> version of nv or something).  Anyways, vesa worked, and it still does
> now, so that's what I'm using.  It's nvidia that doesn't work.

Question might be: What card do you have (or on-MB equivalent) in the
Thinkpad? Nvidia's newer drivers (and Debian Sid equivalents) do NOT support
older hardware. For example, I have a GEForce2 mx400 chipset card and must
use the version 96.43.01 driver.

I had mixed results in the past using the Debian versions. Once they did not
work at all, once I got them working with half!! the frame rate in
pengineracer or such. Installing correct versions from Nvidia (their site has
dialogs to find which one) worked first time every time.

(Caveat: unless you use arguments to their installer to set alternate folders,
their libglx.so gets put in the same place as xorg's  so when you upgrade
xorg, well ... can always move xorg's out of the way and replace with the
symlink to the Nvidia one each time this happens.)