Re: Cable Modem setup

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 07:03:52AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

"Most, if not all, cable modems are easily configured for use with Linux"

So please check me if what I think is right:

1. The box has an (presently unused) ethernet port and lspci shows it:
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)

good.

2. dhcp client is installed:
ii  dhcp3-client                     3.0.6-1                    DHCP client
ii dhcp3-common 3.0.6-1 common files used by all the dhcp3* packages

good

3. All I have to do is change /etc/networking/interfaces from:
to:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
post-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.up.rules

and issue: ifup

yup

4. I have the DVD's for Etch. I could also do a new install for Etch (I now have all Sid) and that should "automatically" find the cable modem in the new installation.

no need to do the reinstall. no need to "find" the cable modem. It is
(most likely) just like any router/hub/switch with a dhcp
server. simply plug in, ifup and you should be good to go.

Thanks Andrew.
If and when the move occurs I'll report back.

Hugo