Re: Where do you put your swap partition?

David Brodbeck wrote:

On Jan 21, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
The old "you need 2x RAM for swap" rule is hard to forget.

I never really understood the rationale for that rule. It seems like a system with more RAM would need less swap, not more. In particular, it always seemed to me like it'd be a bit silly to use 8 gigs of disk for swap on a system with 4 gigs of RAM. Can someone explain the reasons for the 2x rule? Is there a performance boost?

I think it's just from 'the not-so-long-ago' days of yore when 128Mb went into your sig.txt as boast material, with nameless proprietary programmes that were resource hogs needing more than that. 2 times seemed to be the required measure and just carried over into other programmes.
Regards,

--
David Palmer
Linux User - #352034